May 27, 2010

[*4 More Days*]

Pat leaves in four days... Its bittersweet. He's at MEPS right now, weighing in. I lost a day because of this, but as long as he leaves on Monday- I'm okay with it. [I guess]
Ahh... I'm a little stressed right now. Let's talk about something else.

The link I posted the other day came up in a convo I was having a with my sister. After reading the books that were on that list I was thinking things over. A really large percentage of those books, we read through out school.
Books we read in middle school(banned in libraries/schools):
Diary of a Young Girl, Scarlet Letter, Catcher in the Rye, Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn

Books we read in high school (banned in libraries/schools):
Grapes of Wrath, Animal Farm, To Kill a Mockingbird, Of Mice and Men, Lord of the Flies

And not to mention the books we performed in school plays or that are performed in public playhouses:
Oliver Twist, Les Misérables

How does that make sense? If my child(if I ever have one) likes to read, by all means- they will be able to read what ever they choose at the apprpriate age. I just don't understand how BOOKS can be banned for multiple/different reasons... when the movies and tv shows on TV RIGHT NOW, show children more than what a book can write about. ??

In other book news: I received in the mail my books I ordered from Amazon!! Yay!
I got Erich von Daniken's, Chariots of the Gods. The Words of Gandhi. And Henry Rollins' Black Coffee Blues. I'm excited, to say the least! :)

No comments: